Regardless of the level of BMX competition it is widely accepted that a superior gate start is one of the most important skills for riders to focus their energy towards, balanced with exercises that improve bike handling confidence.
Sprintblock develops five fundamental training characteristics that are required in producing the gate start.
1) Balance - Balancing on the gate is the first skill all riders have to master before any progression is possible. An even distribution of energy and spatial awareness are crucial to any gate start, once achieved, skills can develop, confidence grows in the "set position".
2) Technique - There are many ways to produce a clean start in a BMX race. Experimenting with different pedal height, foot angles and various body positions to suit the individual’s mechanics is encouraged, this is achievable by using Sprintblocks "specifically engineered adjustability".
3) Psychology - The ability to concentrate, focus and stay calm throughout the start is one of the most important fundamentals of BMX racing. Sprintblock allows all riders the chance to master these key ingredients during sprint training sessions before transferring to the gate.
4) Reaction Time - The initial movement of the rider from the gate is very important, the less time spent responding to a stimulus, the higher level of explosive potential allowing the rider to start at the optimum time of the gate drop. Sprintblock will improve reactive ability.
5) Acceleration - Once an initial reaction time has been recognised, producing force explosively in the right "direction" to reach top speed is essential. Sprintblock develops specific ranges of the force velocity curve.